After enjoying Tai Chi as a hobby for 11 ½ years, I decided that I would start my own Tai Chi for Health business and show everyone how enjoyable it can be.
A client said to me recently “After a stressful day at work, I look forward to enjoying my relaxation session at Tai Chi. I feel the tension just disappearing.”
You might be thinking that Tai Chi for Health is all about high kicks and spin turns.……..
Well, you would be wrong. I use a type of Health Qigong known as The 5 Elements. It uses “deep breathing” techniques and the “power of imagination.” This helps relax and de-stress the whole of your body.
The 5 Elements are EARTH, WOOD, METAL, FIRE and WATER. These represent different parts of the human body. It can be practiced sat down or stood up.
Today, I am going to show you how to do this…………….. Okay, are you sitting comfortably?
Close your eyes and imagine you are on your favourite holiday. Keep that picture in your mind. Now open your eyes.
Let’s begin ……..
- Earth: Make a diamond shape with your first finger and thumb. Place it just below your belly button. This is called your Dan Tien. Take nice deep breathes in and let it go. (3 times)
- Wood: Put your hands in front of you, palms up. Make the shape of a wheel. Breathe in at the top and out at the bottom. (3 times) Lower your hands back down to Earth. Breathe in and let it go.
- Metal: Put your hands together in a praying position but slightly apart. Imagine they are magnets. Pull the magnets (hands) apart and breathe in. Push the magnets (hands) together and breathe out. (3 times) Lower your hands back down to Earth. Breathe in and let it go.
- Fire: Place your hands in front of you as if you are holding a ball at the top and bottom. Turn on your waist to one side. Imagine your hands are the flames of a fire. Breathe in as the flames rise (raise your top hand) and breathe out as the flames lower (lower your top hand). (3 times) Turn on waist back to your your hands over. Turn on your waist to the other side. Breathe in as the flames rise (raise your top hand) and breathe out (lower your top hand). (3 times) Turn on waist back to your front. Lower your hands back down to Earth. Breathe in and let it go.
- Water: Remember to keep your back straight and keep the diamond shape with your hands. Breathe in then breathe out, bending forward from your waist. (3 times)Lower your hands back down to Earth. Breathe in and let it go. (3 times)Open your eyes and gently shape your hands.I hope you enjoyed it!! Now relax.